Our Autism and Learning Disability service provides specialist psychological support in areas such as:
- Diagnostic assessment for Autistic Spectrum Disorder, available for children and adults. This assessment is carried out by a multidisciplinary team and covers areas such as: early developmental history; behavioural problems; functioning at home, in education or in employment; and the individual’s sensory profile. This assessment will usually include both parental/individual interview and an activity-based assessment (utilising formal diagnostic tools for this purpose).
- Psychosocial support and interventions for individuals with a diagnosis of Autistic Spectrum Disorder, such as Cognitive Behavioural Therapy and Social Skills Training to increase coping skills and daily living skills.
- Assessment of learning disability, available for children and adults. This assessment includes a comprehensive cognitive assessment of the individual’s intellectual ability, parent/caregiver interview in order to assess Adaptive Skills and discussion of the assessment findings alongside recommendations outlined in a report.
- Assessments of specific learning difficulties such as dyslexia and dyscalculia. Assessments such as these usually involve parental interview in order to gain a background history and current concerns, individual cognitive assessment with the child and discussion of the assessment findings, alongside strategies and recommendations. Further support following the assessment can also be offered regarding educational settings and individual learning styles.
- Comprehensive assessment (including a functional analysis) and intervention for individuals who show behaviours considered to be challenging, underpinned by Positive Behaviour Support. Behaviour Support Plans can be provided as part of this intervention package.
- Psychotherapeutic support for individuals with learning disabilities who are experiencing mental health problems such as anxiety, depression and post traumatic stress disorder. Such support is adapted to suit the learning needs of the individual.
- Advice, training and support to families and carers supporting individuals with learning disabilities.